Crab curry is one of the tasty coastal dishes of Kerala. This is one of my favourite dishes.
During my summer hols visits to grandma's house was always a treat. My grandmother lived on the banks of Ashtamudi lake and I waited for the bus to arrive at the bus stop, my eyes wanted to see the lake, the sun set, the coconut palms standing on the banks of this lake and the birds passing over this lake. It is a view that no man on this earth can give us.
The midday meal always consisted of fish in some form or the other. I am not fond of fish but the way grandma prepared it made me relish it. Fish pachcurry, fish fry, fish red curry and crab curry were my favourites. Here is the recipe for crab curry.
- 500 gms crabs
- 1/2 coconut
- 200 gms onions
- 100 gms green mangoes cubed (If mangoes are not in season, fish tamarind may be used)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 8 green chillies
- 1 inch ginger
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 50 ml. oil
- 1/4 tsp. mustard
- salt as required
- Clean crabs and cut into required pieces.
- Grind coconut, garlic, green chilles, turmeric powder and ginger together.
- Heat oil and splutter the mustard seeds. Add chopped onions and curry leaves and fry.
- Add the coconut masala and fry for 3 minutes more.
- Add the crab pieces and cubed mangoes and mix.
- Add sufficient water and salt to cook the crab curry and cook over slow fire.
- A tasty dish is ready.