My mother used to make fish pickle and it used to be savoured by all of us within a week of its preparation. She used to bring a bottle of it whenever she came to visit me. My neighbours used to wait for the arrival of fish pickle to have their share of it. Thought of sharing this recipe with all of you.
- 1 kg. fish (any firm fleshed ones like tuna with less bones)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced ginger
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced garlic
- 5 slit green chillies
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves (optional, as it is difficult to get everywhere)
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 tsp. fenugreek seeds
- 1 1/2 tblsp. chilli powder
- 2 tsp. pepper powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- oil as required
- Clean and cut the fish into small cubes. Wash them thoroughly. Drain the water completely.
- Marinate the fish in 1/2 tblsp. chilli powder, 2tsp. pepper powder, 1 tsp. turmeric powder (from the ingredients above) and salt for half an hour.
- Fry the fish and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Splutter the mustard seeds and then put in the fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the sliced ginger, green chillies and garlic and saute until golden colour.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp. chilli powder and saute. Add the fried fish with more oil. Heat it until the oil becomes hot. Add the vinegar and salt to this and switch off the stove.
- Mix everything thoroughly.
- Bottle it in clean bottles and keep it air tight. The oil and vinegar mix should cover the fish pieces at all times.