This is a very easy method for cooking chicken biriyani. It can be cooked in a very short time and does not need any curry with it except a yogurt salad.
- 1 kg Chicken cut into pieces
- 3 cups basmati rice
- 5 green chillies
- 1 inch Ginger
- 2 medium onions
- 2 tomatoes
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 bunch of coriander leaves
- Few mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tblsp garam masala or chicken masala (mainly a combination of powdered cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves, curry leaves, fennel seeds)http://www.pachakam.com/glossary.asp
- 2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 5 cups of hot water
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Salt as per taste
- Grind all the items from 3 to 14 in a grinder into a paste
- Take a pressure cooker and heat the ghee in it. If you do not have ghee add 100 gms butter and let it melt.
- Add the ground paste and fry it until the ghee starts bubbling through the masala. Now put the chicken and a little salt in it and mix with the paste. Close the lid and let it pressure cook for 8 minutes.
- Open the cooker only after the pressure is gone from inside the cooker.
- Add the washed rice, lime juice, salt and hotwater to the cooked chicken and mix.
- Close the lid again and let it cook for another 6 minutes or until the cooker is about to give out a whistle.
- Off the stove and let the food remain in the pressure cooker until all the pressure is gone from inside the cooker. If you are using a electric stove top, move the cooker to a cooler stove top.
- You can garnish the biriyani with fried onion rings or fried nuts.
Note: Never open a pressure cooker when there is pressure inside, it can lead to a terrible accident.