Custom Search

Tuesday 17 June, 2008

Fried Chicken Curry (Varutha Kozhi Curry)

This is a recipe taken from Lekshmi Nair's magic oven. As promised, Rose here is your recipe. Anybody wanting some specific recipe from Lekshmi Nair's magic oven can contact me and if I have it, I shall surely post it here.

Ingredients:

  1. 1 medium chicken (cut into small pieces)
  2. 1/4 cup coconut oil ( sunflower oil can be used)
  3. 250 gms small onions (sliced small)
  4. 15 cloves garlic (sliced small)
  5. 2 pieces ginger (sliced small)
  6. 6 green chillies (sliced lengthwise from the middle into two)
  7. 2 tblsp. coriander powder
  8. 2 tblsp. chilli powder
  9. 3/4 tsp. turmeric powder
  10. 1 tblsp. garam masala
  11. 1 cup coconut milk (1st milk) and 2 cups (2nd milk taken from one coconut)
  12. 1/2 tsp. fried and ground cumin
  13. Few curry leaves

Method:

  • Saute the ginger and garlic slices in hot oil.
  • Put in this sliced onions and green chillies and saute until the onions are lightly browned.
  • Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and saute until it takes out the raw smell.
  • Add chicken pieces to this masala, mix and saute further.
  • Add garam masala, ground cumin and salt and saute further.
  • When the masala has mixed with the chicken properly and the oil starts oozing out add the 2 cups of coconut second milk. ( I normally use coconut milk in tins with added water)
  • Let the chicken cook in this coconut milk. When the gravy starts thickening add coconut 1st milk and mix.
  • Add some curry leaves and cover the vessel. Switch off the stove.

Source: Lekshmi Nair's Magic Oven Recipes

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks sujo

regards

love

today I am trying your potato curry

Sujo said...

Hi Rose,
Helping out is a pleasure. Do contact me if u need any other recipe or with suggestions. I am always looking forward on improving my site.
Hope the potato curry came out nicely.

Anonymous said...

Awesome site! I've linked to your blog - keep the recipes comin'!

Sujo said...

Hi!
Thanks for your encouragement. It will surely help me to keep going.

Rosna said...

Hi
u dint specify the frying of the chicken..then y the name fried chicken curry??

Unknown said...

hi sujo,
Iam Hassia from Saudi Arabia. I had once seen in magic oven How to make a proper garam masala(its ratio). If u have it please send it to me at get_hassia@yahoo.com

Sujo said...

Hi Rosna,
This is Laxmi Nair's Recipe not mine, it is the name given by her so am unable to change the name. Thanks for visiting my blog.