Custom Search

Friday 22 February, 2008

Plain Rice

Today, I thought of sharing with you one of my tips to save energy as South Africa is facing an energy crisis. I cook rice everyday.Everyone who cooks long grain rice knows that it takes a lot of energy as the time needed to cook rice varies from 30 to 45 minutes. Many people tell me that when they cook rice it sticks or turns mushy. I buy the No Name brand of rice from Pick n' Pay. This is not an ad for Pick n' Pay nor do they pay me any commission for it. I buy this brand because it is fairly easy to cook and takes less time and the desired result.

Ingredients:

  1. 1 cup long grain uncooked rice
  2. 4 cups water
  3. 1 tsp. salt

Method:

  • Boil the water in a kettle.
  • Wash rice in cold water 2 or 3 times.
  • Pour the boiling water into the rice, add salt and let it remain on the stove on high for 10 minutes.
  • When the water bubbles, off the stove and keep the vessel covered for approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
  • Now drain the rice in a colander. You get non sticky, and properly cooked rice.
  • This saves energy a lot if you cook rice on a daily basis.

No comments: